How do I choose a home that cares for people with an acquired brain injury?

We understand that choosing the right specialist centre for your friend or relative can be a very daunting experience. Below are some suggestions on where to start:

  • Contact your local Headway, Solicitor, GP, Social Worker or funder. They should be able to recommend a service.
  • Search for a specialist unit on the internet by looking on the UKABIF website or contact your local Acquired Brain Injury Forum, details of which you can get from the UKABIF site.
  • Research the specialist home by visiting their website and reading the reports from the regulatory body, the Care Quality Commission (CQC). You can access these reports via the CQC’s website 
  • Visit the potential homes to see first-hand the facilities on offer and to meet staff and other residents.

You might want to consider asking the following questions:

  • What is the quality of care provided?
  • What therapies are available?
  • What activities are available?
  • Are visiting times flexible?
  • What are the facilities like – do the bedrooms have en-suites; are there communal areas; is there a garden?
  • Does the home take into account residents’ specific cultural and religious needs?